Following are some of the responsibilities that a truck driver needs to take care of:
- Reading maps to follow directions
- Examining inventory and transporting papers
- Maintaining transport records as per regulations
- Doing repairs like changing tires or installing spark plugs, etc.
- Collecting payments for delivered goods
- Report any mechanical problems encountered with vehicles
- Reporting any sort of delays to the concerned person
- Ensuring that the truck is well- maintained and has basic repair tools
- Checking the oil and fuel level in the vehicle before starting journey
- Inspection of the windshield wipers, the brakes, lights, fire extinguisher, etc.
- Ensure that the entire cargo is well placed and securely fitted
Safe driving is the most important skill that will be examined by the company. The way you drive should be perfect. You should have the required knowledge on the various aspects of the job as truck driver. You should be able to mange a truck well while driving. As you have to drive to several places, the ability to easily adapt to any type of environment is necessary.
There are many truck driving schools for teaching efficient driving. You can have more chances of getting the job you require with the training that helps handle the truck efficiently. Other than this knowledge on the safety regulations that are to be followed while driving is also necessary.
Like any other field, having a prior experience will give you opportunities to work with reputed trucking companies. However, experience is not a mandatory qualification to get a job as truck driver. Efficient driving is the most important skill that will be assessed by the employer. If you have a driving record without any accidents or other problems related to driving like a case for reckless driving or for driving after consuming alcohol etc, then it will fetch you a good job without having to do much hard work .
Job opportunities are rather favorable for truck drivers. The immense market demand for responsible and skill truck drivers has brought about a huge growth in the number of quality openings. Thanks to the growth in the economy and the quantity of freight carried by trucks, on the whole employment of truck drivers is probable to boost about as quick as the average for all occupations in the course of the year 2014.
Here's a list of the hourly wages that truck drivers make in general:
- General freight trucking: $17.56
- Grocery and related product wholesalers: $17.32
- Specialized freight trucking: $15.61
- Employment services: $14.82
- Cement and concrete product manufacturing: $14.47
To get a job as a truck driver, you should be a good driver with adequate knowledge on all the aspects of the job. You can have a great career in the industry with the right skills by going through the several jobs for truck drivers that are available online.